1. Resale - It's important to make sure you're buying a home that has good potential to sell in the future. Unless you plan on living there the rest of your life this is definitely something to look into.
How? You can ask your Lafayette realtor to provide the average days on market for neighborhoods you're interested in, and find out what homes have recently sold for to make sure you don't over pay.
2. Schools - A lot of times this directly effects tip number 1. If a neighborhood feeds into good schools then that neighborhood often times has fewer days on market. Want to learn more about school districts in our area? Check out the Tippecanoe County School Corporation along with the Lafayette School Corporation.
Why is fewer days on market so important? Because that means more people are interested in that area which should drive up the home prices.
3. Location - This has been known to be the single most important part of a home. You can update the kitchen and baths to the nines but one thing you can't change is the location.
If you buy a home in Lafayette that's convenient to shopping, schools, interstate, restaraunts, etc.. then you should be in good shape for resale.
4. Price - As you read in tip number one you can have your realtor show you recent home sales in areas you're interested in. That way you know how your price compares to others to ensure you're getting a fair deal.
As I said before you can update your home to have great features but if it's already over priced then you most likely won't get the return you expect out of the updates you make.
5. HOA - Yes we've all heard good and bad stories of having a home owners association. The good part is they help keep Lafayette and West Lafayette neighborhoods clean and well kept. Who wants to live next to an overgrown junkyard anyway?
Some home owners associations have a reputation for being too strict. To ensure that you're comfortable buying in a specific area, ask to review the covenants and restrictions.
To learn more about houses for sale in Lafayette - Contact Kirby Parker with Parker Team Homes and Keller Williams Realty.
Kirby has lived in Indiana his whole life and has been an agent with Parker Team Homes since 2011. You can contact him directly at (765)421-1562.